Tuesday, March 3, 2009

ETC.

March certainly hit most of the U.S. in the form of a very large lion this week and now it is time for those needing a new career direction to roar into action (sorry about the weak attempt at humor)!!
  • One way to derail your job search is to use a resume like the one I received today. It featured a photo of the candidate busily working at their desk with lots of little graphics all over the place. The name of the candidate and all contact information was placed in a column at a right angle to the text and was in bright orange font.... No further comment needed.
  • Another candidate was referred to me recently. Credentials looked excellent but I spent about 15 minutes hearing what was wrong with this person's boss. Hopefully, I only was told this because the referring party told the candidate that I could be trusted not to repeat this information to potential employers. Let's assume the negative details will not be related by the candidate to interviewers. Positive spin is an important part of the interview process.
  • The job market is still iffy at best. Clients are posting requirements then pulling them back a few days later. The upside is they are accepting resumes and getting back in the habit of reviewing candidates. This should be the first step toward recovery.
  • I am making plans to put together a one-session job search boot camp (for lack of a better title) on a weekend afternoon in the near future somewhere in Central NJ. If you would like details as they develop, drop me a line to hblevin58@gmail.com. My intent is to request a very modest fee and am hoping that the group concept will lead to some great dialogue.
  • One of the more entertaining radio news commentators (yes, I still listen to AM radio as much as I can) left us a few days back. Even though I did not exactly agree with much of what he said, i will pay tribute to the late Paul Harvey by closing this entry with the simple message to all of you, "Good day!"

No comments: