Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Why Change?

Facebook..Twitter..Plaxo..My Space..LinkedIn..Droid..ITouch..SmartPhone..Texting..and now, the newest way to communicate---the TELEPHONE!!!!

Yes, I have become somewhat addicted to LinkedIn and am becoming more comfortable sending out tweets. No, I do not have a Smartphone (or similar toy) as I would undoubtedly use it more for play than business. I like Facebook but not as a business resource. Some people I know believe I am old fashioned but I tend to live within a comfort zone and am not someone who changes very easily. I even dress pretty much the same at age 53 as I did at age 23 albeit with less hair on my head which has become much more grey than brown!

Believe it or not, I considered caving in a few weeks back and almost starting making some changes. Some younger colleagues on a committee which I chair tried to sell me on the merits of one of the more advanced phones. I was told I could easily check my email at all times, conduct business online with my clients, and run my daily business through Facebook right on my phone. This device would allow me to hardly turn on the computer, throw away my newspaper, and rarely need to talk to anyone live. In fact, the term talking could really be replaced by the term texting! Wow, my whole world could fit in my pocket (assuming I did not drop my world in a parking lot where it could get smashed by a passing vehicle!) and follow me everywhere! Sounds great!!!!................WAIT a MINUTE!!!...I really don't want to read email while out to dinner. I don't necessarily want to chat with clients while at a Somerset Patriots baseball game. Reading the daily newspaper is one of my favorite activities. Most important, my clients do still like live interaction from time to time and some have actually complained to me about how impersonal their vendors are becoming.

Make your own choices. Whatever works best for you is the method of operation you need to follow. Please make sure the clients you value, the bread and butter of your business, are comfortable and happy with how you treat them!

No comments: