Thursday, December 1, 2011

FAQs and My Best Available Answers

During the course of a month as a Career Coach and Recruiter I hear many variations of the same handful of questions. There are probably hundreds of correct answers but I tend to stay within my comfort zone when called upon to comment. Here are a few of the FAQs I am presented with and my favorite responses.

I understand that you are a Recruiter and want to know what you have got for me today?
Once upon a time, when our economy was thriving, there were more job openings than available candidates and I could call a company and tell them about a great person and quite possibly set up an interview. Sadly, those days are long gone and staffing firms now must rely on finding candidates for the jobs employers make available to them to fill.

I need a job and want you to get it for me. How long will that take?
No one can get you a job. They me be able to help you identify opportunities but you must go in and take the interview and sell yourself to the potential employer as the best candidate available for the position!

How much does your staffing firm charge to find me a job?
Most agencies collect their fees from the hiring company. I personally do not believe you should pay a fee to a staffing firm. Employers looking to avoid a fee will usually place their ads directly onto search engines and/or into print media.

As a Career Coach, how long will it take you to get me a job?
Once again, no one can get you a job. Coaches will work with you to assess your search efforts to date and help you develop a game plan to accelerate the process and help you better identify the right fits for your skill level and professional background.

How many coaching sessions will I need to improve my employment status?
This is a very hard question to answer. Most Coaches will provide you with a free first session to get an idea of what is needed to help you. Some people stay with a coach even after they find a new job and use them as a sounding board and adviser.

Please feel free to comment and to also send me other questions!

No comments: