Monday, July 23, 2012

Strength and Resilience

I have remained quiet on the blogging front for several days because I just have not known what to write about.  Tourists were murdered in Bulgaria, government leaders were assassinated in Syria, a former graduate student gunned down innocent movie goers in Colorado, unemployment in the U.S. skyrocketed to unbelievable levels, and the very awful mess at Penn State caused even more hatred and hard feelings again today.


Being an eternal optimist, I have been trying to find some positive, and perhaps encouraging, words to share in this column but I am struggling right now.  Could one rationalize that the terrorists in Bulgaria were part of a very small group never to be heard from again?  I doubt it.  Were the events in Syria a fluke? I doubt it.  Can we improve security in movie theaters enough to prevent such a nightmare from taking place again?  I doubt it.  Could unemployment finally have reached its worst level and a rebound is on its way?  I hope so.  Will the punishments doled out by the NCAA against PSU today force universities to take measures needed to prevent another travesty?  I just don't know.


Will companies use the sad state of the world as justifications for a decline in hiring while candidates slow down their job search using the same reasoning?  I think so.  Are the events listed above reason enough for us to slow down progress even more than it already has regressed?  I don't think so.  My message is that we need to fix a lot of things in this world but sitting back and making excuses will simply lead to more excuses which we can ill afford!  September 11, 2001 could have set us back much further than it did and I hope the same strength and resilience comes forward once again!

No comments: