Monday, May 16, 2016

Is It Time To Reassess Your Requirement?

My goal, ever since I started recruiting over 30 years ago, has always been to find the best available candidates to fill my client's staffing needs while adhering to the pay range they asked me to work with.  When a client asks me to find someone at a pay rate that does not match their specific requirements, I try to find a common ground where we can balance skills that are absolutely essential with money that is realistic to pay someone.  Unfortunately, there are times when this is not possible.

At such times, I ask the client to go back to the drawing board and divide the requirement into must have, should haves, and nice to haves.  Occasionally, a hiring manager will inform me that other staffing firms they contacted have walked away from the job.  Usually, staffing firms will only give up if they feel the requirements versus starting pay are unrealistic.

My advice to employers is simple.  Staffing firms are in the business of placing great people into great jobs for a fee.  If more than one recruiter says the job is not going to be filled for the pay range you are offering, it is probably time to reassess the requirement!

No comments: