Thursday, December 22, 2016

Staff Reductions

From my activity as a career coach, recruiter, and volunteer, I continuously observe the behavior patterns of both small and large organizations, some of which are for-profit while others are non-profit. The methods used for staff reductions and how the situations are handled never cease to both amaze and disturb me at the same time.
One example is a global manufacturer who had retained the services of a contract employee for more than six years over two stretches. The representative from the company called me and said the individual had reached the new time out level for contract employees and would need to have their assignment ended the next day after they left the premises. Although I was unhappy that this was being done near the holiday season, it is a fact of life. However, when I contacted the employee to break the news, he informed me that he had figured it out since his card access within the building had been shut off a few hours earlier and no one would tell him why! In my opinion, that is a poor way to release someone who had been extremely dependable.
Another organization I am familiar with in the technical services industry thinks nothing of calling in senior team leaders, releasing them on the spot, and refusing to pay any type of severance compensation. While severance is not a requirement, it is certainly a reasonable expectation after 5 to 10 years of blemish free service.
Just this week, an educational services company informed dozens of employees at one of their sites that it will close its doors in late April and most of them will not have jobs at another location. Honestly, waiting two weeks to allow the staff and their families an enjoyable holiday period would have been commendable. Yet another organization I am very familiar with abruptly eliminated a handful of positions with the end of 2016.
There are countless additional scenarios I could share from this year and prior years. Suffice it to say that, while staff reductions are sometimes unavoidable, timing and compassion should be utilized if at all possible. Employees are human beings with obligations, both personal and financial, and should be treated properly. I also remind decision makers that today's employee could some day be your boss!

No comments: