Saturday, December 15, 2018

References Are So Important

References are so important to the job search process.  Quite honestly, I can present numerous reasons why this is not true but many employers live and die by them.  Failure to take this part of the process seriously can dramatically hurt your quest for a new position.

There are many examples I can offer up which demonstrate how ineffective checking references can be but I will focus on one today.  Many years ago, I was recruiting for a retail company in the process of staffing a new store.  After interviewing many individuals, I narrowed the list down and started making calls.  One particular individual got exceptionally high marks from all four of the references provided.  In addition, I found a few people who he had worked with not on his list and spoke with them.  Based on the reference checks and his in-person interviews. I hired him and set up a training class for the new team.  On day one, I went deeply into the company's security policies and procedures.  On day two, this individual resigned with tears in his eyes and told me he was going to court that day for his third shoplifting charge.  In two cases, he stole from his employers!

Still, many employers lean heavily on references.  Keep in mind, it is essential to be certain that your reference list is current.  Make sure everyone on the list is well aware that you are job hunting.  Ensure that you have listed the best contact information including phone and email.  Indicate how you know each reference (personal or  professional).  Should you be unsure someone will give you a strong endorsement, select a different person for your list.  Recently, I made a call and got the distinct impression that the person on the other end of the line really was quite uncomfortable discussing the candidate in a positive fashion.  Like it or not, reference checks can strongly impact your future success.

No comments: