Sunday, December 28, 2008

It's Not My Job!

"It's not my job." "I don't know. " "We don't carry them here. " "Go ask someone else."

Yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the weak economy and use a gift card from a major department store. Should I mention their name? Why not! - Macy's. I wanted a package of basic men's hankerchiefs. My first thought was to check by the socks. A young lady there told me to try accessories. The lady working the floor there told me she was pretty sure they stopped selling them years ago! I asked her if she could check and she said she was too busy straightening neckties. Just down the way was a young man who said try behind the register area in men's sportwear. That area was jammed with people angry at the 2 staffers who were having a private chat in their own dialect and being rude to all. I calmly asked if they could aim me at handerkerchiefs and one grunted that they had no idea and turned away. Finally, I saw a manager roaming around and told him how disappointed I was. He grimaced and muttered about the company hiring lazy help and aimed me back where the 2 rude people were and told me to walk through their station to a rack full of handkerchiefs!

Sadly, I wish I could say this has only happened to me at Macy's. The reality is that I have had similar experience at supermarkets, electronics stores, restaurants, etc. I have also gone in big circles on the phone with AOL, my local hospital, insurance companies, Bank of America, Sprint, TMobile, etc.

Whenever possible, I get the names of those who treat me shabbily and make sure I report them as I move up the chain. Most of you probably are wondering what my point is by now. Big companies who decide to give job references will likely assign that task to someone in HR who simply pulls up performance reports. Many companies actually log the complaints made against your name and will probably find some way of giving a very non-committal reply that will put up flags. On a more local note, I once had someone with this type of attitude resign before I got the chance to dismiss her. Just a few months later, one of my counterparts at another facility called for an informal reference check. This person had lost her new job and heard of an opening and wanted back into our company. I assure you this did not take place.

Please remember that actions you take today will remain with you, in one way or another, for the rest of your career!!!

No comments: