Friday, January 23, 2009

Nails in the Coffin

Please accept my deepest apologies for the title of this entry. I was going to call it Slamming the Door Behind You or Heading the Wrong Way on a One Way Street. Unfortunately, the email I received today inspired the title I utilized.

When the economy is absolutely anemic, and you work in a field that is flooded with unemployed candidates, you must be realistic about your job search. I read the text of an email from someone in the recruiting business. This individual very succinctly listed minimum base salary they would work for along with commission rates and fees for contract recruiting. The numbers requested were more than double the current market rates if not triple on some levels.

Representing such a candidate would never be high on my priority list. Beyond the arrogant impression these requests conjured up, such a candidate would likely demonstrate a poor attitude during an interview. I also would question whether or not this person has taken a good, hard look at the current market. Perhaps this individual is outstanding at what they do but I will never find out and neither will my clients.

No comments: