Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Strange Emotions

Usually, I am not terribly moved by the loss of well known personalities though the recent passing of Senator Ted Kennedy and retired newsman Walter Cronkite both made me pause for a moment. Today has been a bit different for me. Finn Casperson, the retired chairperson of Beneficial Corporation was found dead in his Rhode island home, apparently the result of a self inflicted gunshot to his head. Casperson was highly regard in NJ and globally and was not just a great business leader, he was also a community leader and quite generous to those who had less than he did.

As a young recruiter many years ago, my first placements into the I.T. world were with Beneficial. The placement fees were paid with checks signed by Mr. Casperson. I hope his family will find solace in knowing he did good things for many people including the author of this blog.

No comments: