Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Very Slow Progress

I honestly believe the employment market is improving but at a painfully slow pace. One position I just filled was about a 3 month process. Another one, which began months ago, will require a candidate to interview with close to 10 people. Before you start laughing, gasping, crying or whatever else you choose to do, I actually understand this trend (at least I think I do).

Companies are reaching the point where they have made do with less for so long that they no longer have the staying power needed to remain viable and are beginning to fill open needs. At the same time, each hire is being scrutinized closer than ever before and everyone in the hierarchy is involved. Money is still so tight that each and every dollar counts. If you only had $100 and needed to buy $125 worth of essential goods, I assume you would look for ways to stretch your funds. This is what is going on with the hiring processes at many firms. Please understand that Any flexibility you, as a candidate, can provide will assist you in getting hired!

No comments: