Sunday, June 26, 2011

Entitlement

I was mulling over possible topics to write about and several came to mind. One was to take a look at proprietary trade schools as an alternative to college. Another was to talk about seasonal work that could open more long term doors. The third thought was to focus on how to make interviews feel important without developing Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. These topics, along with hopefully many more, will come your way soon but today I selected a topic I hear so many of you mention--ENTITLEMENT.
To get started, I will share a little bit about my grandfathers who both came here from Europe in the early 1900's My maternal grandfather picked up a sack of hot roasted peanuts each day from a local vendor, transferred them into small bags which he sold to hungry travelers riding the trains up and down the tracks of Pennsylvania's coal region. He worked tirelessly to help raise seed money for the tailor shop he and his father eventually turned into 2 thriving clothing stores. Many years later, he told me how appreciative he was of the commuters who paid him a dime per bag to help his family
My paternal grandfather painted houses to come up with the money to open a candy store complete with a soda fountain! When the Great Depression hit him hard, he returned to the paintbrush until things got better. He told me stories about those times and always ended with something along the lines that as long as he figured out how to feed, clothe, and house his family, everything else was not terribly significant.
Not we look at the present. Please understand I am not out to insult or offend anyone but tell it as I see and hear it! Over the course of a year I deal with numerous contract or temporary employees who are assigned to various jobs assisting companies with their immediate needs. Temporary means just that, nothing more and I amazed how many temps call me after a week and say they are working too hard, not given the same privileges as full time employees, and are expected to account for every minute they are on the clock. Astonishing! They feel they are entitled to all the perks of someone who has been on the job perhaps 20-25 ears and should not be held accountable at all times!
Next, many people seem unaware of the recession which still dominates us every day. They will contact me and complain that they are not paid enough or being utilized to their fullest and they want to move because they are entitled to more. The only problem is, most folks who move right now could take a pay cut and also jeopardize job security. Never the less, I am constantly told that I am wrong, that they are entitled to more and will get it somewhere.
My concern is the spillover effect this entitlement mentality is having on children. From what I observe, too many youngsters do not understand the concept of earning something. They know that if they hold out long enough, they will be entitled to whatever it is they desire. If you think we live in challenging times today, I dread to fast forward perhaps 30 years for a look into the future!

No comments: