Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Perfect Omelette!

Have you ever been to a breakfast buffet and had an omelette that came out tasting not quite right? While I do not frequent breakfast buffets, I do stumble across them now and then and the food is usually underwhelming. This past week, my family and I drove from NJ to Columbia, SC to partake in a family member's wedding. The hotel had a full service buffet loaded with very nondescript food but did feature an omelette station staffed by a talented gentleman named Albert who cooked the eggs to perfection!

Why, might you ask, am I writing a food review? I assure you this is not the case! Albert epitomized the dedication and commitment to a profession that I found quite refreshing. Not only is he a talented chef, he is an official resource for points of interest to help visitors plan out their free time, freely shares his cooking tips with anyone who asks, and quite proudly tells the story of how he learned to be a chef by learning the tricks of the trade from his grandmother. Albert obviously awakens terribly early each morning to make sure his station, including the vegetables he hands cuts for his omelettes, is ready to go when the first diners arrive and looks like he never gets tired or bored of his job.

One of my favorite tips of advice to job seekers is always to make sure that one of your criteria for taking a new job is that you will actually like what you are doing. Certainly, pay rate, benefits, location, and potential for advancement are critical as well but I really think it is important to like your job in order to excel. So, next time you are job hunting, decide if you are ready to make the perfect omelette!

No comments: