Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sunday Afternoons in the Fall

Anyone that knows me is aware that I look forward to Sundays in fall and early winter to sit down and watch some NFL football. Since the Redzone TV channel was invented, making it possible to watch parts of all games being played without any effort, I have found myself mesmerized at times. Right about now, I am thinking of ways to fill my Sundays with alternate activities this fall as I really doubt a full NFL season is likely due to this ridiculous lockout. At a time when so many people are unemployed, underemployed, or simply struggling in this horrible economy, how dare the owners AND players be as greedy as they appear to be.

Perhaps a plan would be to lower ticket prices, reduce the cost of parking and food (perhaps allow patrons to bring in their own affordable food), reduce salaries to realistic numbers and basically downsize the whole product. If players were paid less I suppose ticket prices could drop too so how about showing some respect to the vast majority who cannot afford to attend an NFL game? As it stands now, games will not be paid and the employees who work stadium events will be laid off', food vendors will lose a ton of money when they don't have games to send their products too, nearby hotels and restaurants will suffer, etc.

Now the NBA (which I tuned out years ago) has followed suit. In the past, after a work stoppage, fans eventually flocked back like nothing ever happened. This time could be different as people tend to soul search a bit more when things are not going so great for them.

No comments: