Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pothole Alert!

Everyone (myself included) wants to earn as much income as possible. The stresses of our economy, including healthcare costs, over-the-top gasoline prices, college tuition, etc., have made us all seek out as much money as we can. Naturally, job seekers are looking for great offers but there is a potential pothole to fall into if you are not careful.

A client recently asked me to fill a position and I started contacting potential candidates. The pay range given to me was a bit low by pre-2008 standards but fairly realistic in our current marketplace. Several candidates I spoke with had previously earned significantly more money. Thanks to the very weak market, I identified two extremely solid candidates more than happy to accept modest pay.

A third candidate returned my call but I quickly determined his experience level, while very good, was a bit less senior than the others. I told him what I felt was the pay rate I could submit his resume for and he got very upset with me. This individual has been out of work for over 6 months yet wanted to earn about 14% more than he did at his last job which put him about 20% higher than the two more qualified people. Once I told him I was going to hold off on adding him to my pool, he tried bargaining with me!

Honestly, as a recruiter, it is to my benefit to place candidates at the highest pay rate possible. However, if a recruiter or HR representative tells you that you are asking for too much money, please listen to them. The worst thing you can do is eliminate yourself before you even get the opportunity to interview for a job. Think smart, beware of potholes, and you will succeed!

No comments: