Thursday, March 22, 2012

Negative Reaction!

As mentioned many times in the past, I entered the placement and staffing industry way back in the 1980's. No matter how busy or slow times have been, each day promises to be just a bit different than the one before it in this business. Yesterday was no exception to this rule and certainly was not among my top ten.

One of my clients informed me that they decided not tho hire my candidate whom they had interviewed multiple times simply because, while they liked this person a lot, they felt that the person's prior work experience might not have been sufficient to meet the demands of the job that needs to be filled. I tried phoning the person to no avail so left an email gently breaking the news and offering to chat by phone to better explain the decision. In closing, I also wished the candidate all the best as they continue to pursue new jobs. This candidate happens to be employed but is looking to re-enter a field they were laid off from not too long ago.

The email I received back told me to call the potential employer to thank them for wasting the candidate's time and went on to end with a message to me that basically said thanks for nothing. Number one, the client company invested a lot of time in the hiring process and they were extremely diligent and thoughtful as they went through their paces. Second, no recruiter will ever intentionally waste a candidate's time as we get paid for placing people and their is no commission earned for spinning somebody's wheels. Even more important to the candidate, I will not consider calling if I ever get a similar job lead again.

Please remember that most people recall good and bad experiences they have had with people. You never want to end up on the bad list as it might just come back to get you when you least expect it!

No comments: