Monday, October 31, 2016

Rush Hour Traffic

The interstate highway I travel each and every work day has its very frustrating moments.  There are times, especially during the evening rush hour, when I consider jumping off it onto a back road and finding a place to relax until traffic thins out.  However, I enjoy getting home, having a relaxing dinner with my wife, perhaps doing some work related to a volunteer activity, reading a book or just watching a sporting event on TV.  I grin and bear the traffic because there are things I want to get to with as little delay as possible.

Recent weeks have seen a decline in both companies who are initiating searches for new team members and in the number of candidates inquiring about potential employment.  My assumption is both sides of the equation are being impacted by the upcoming U.S. Presidential election.  Every one I chat with seems terribly distracted right now.  Admittedly, I think about the election every day but refuse to let it slow me down.

Quite honestly, we all need to focus on our daily responsibilities and obligations.  Allowing business to move at the pace of evening rush hour will only hurt our economy and our employment rate. Companies need to maintain their normal workflow, candidates need to maintain their job search progress, and consumers need to keep purchasing goods and services.

Some of my acquaintances claim I am too optimistic.  No matter what happens on November 8, we should plan on reporting to work, school, job search, volunteering, or whatever else we regularly do and keep doing what each of us does best!

No comments: