Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cover Letters, Valuable or Not?

Many career coaches, placement directors, and professional recruiters spend too much time perfecting cover letters. Of course, some employers still ask for them but the Internet has reduced their value. My recommendation to job seekers reading this post is to place your emphasis on developing an incredible resume. With email, it's best to write a one paragraph introduction and leave the rest for your resume. This morning, I received a call from a candidate following up on his submission. I told him I didn't see much substance in his resume. Over 3 dozen resumes were in my email today and I didn't bother to look for the cover letter. He actually had a better cover letter than resume! Please don't force recruiters and hiring managers to go fishing. Put everything we need to know into the body of your resume.

No comments: