Monday, October 13, 2008

Method to My Madness

I apologize if this sounds like a ranting but there is a method to my madness! One of my clients recently asked me to put together a team of engineers to move a production line from Puerto Rico to NJ (yes, strange things are taking place in our weird economy). The deal was that about 60% of phase one would take please in P.R. and 40% in NJ and that this would shift toward the start of 2009. Four of the five people are in place. The 5th one decided to not join the group because of the travel. I located another great candidate who could not wait to interview. Once I set up the meeting, he asked me to change the time. Once I changed the time, he asked me to change it again then admitted that he did not want to take off during work hours to interview. When I explained that after hours meetings were not an option, he chose to stay put, earning almost 15% less than he could at the new job! Please do not do this to a recruiter from a search firm or a human resources person. We have a way of reappearing over time and this could hurt you down the road.

No comments: