Thursday, May 7, 2009

Keep Those Calls Coming!

My message tonight is to anyone who sells a product or a service regardless of what it might be. With the placement industry fairly quiet, I have been looking for new ideas to generate business. About 2 weeks back it dawned on me that my existing clients are the ones who I will need the most when the recession starts to reverse itself (sooner than later I hope) and I better make sure I still have strong relationships with them. Now is not the time to oversell or hound clients. Most likely, no matter the field or industry you work with, your clients are going through the same or similar issues based on the economy.

Each afternoon, I now call 5 or 6 clients and just engage them in conversation without any attempt to solicit new business. No doubt, if they had the need to hire, they would tell me. The purposes of my call are to ensure my contacts are still afloat, to let them know I am there to help in any way needed, and to give them someone to commiserate with.

The shocking result has been that I am hearing that most recruiting firms have stopped calling! Fear of rejection should not keep you away from the telephone. Anyone planning to stick around after the recession needs to stay in contact with their clients now!!

No comments: