Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Quick Thoughts

While preparing for a quick lunch at my desk, some thoughts have crossed mind and I decided to share them before though back into the cloudy area of my brain!
  • Recently, I read an article about out-of-work professionals in the 45-60 years old age group turning to Botox injection or plastic surgery to give them a competitive edge in the job market. I challenge a hiring manager to tell me that they hired someone because they looked young. In most cases, this is not true. In fact, I have much more luck placing my contemporaries (yes, I'm somewhere in the 45-60 group) because a lot of firms are looking for people with a ton of professional work experience. Unless you want a job as a fashion model, night club performer, beauty pageant contestant, etc., do not waste your time or money on medical procedures to land a job. An interesting aside was that one of the main characters in the article still does not have a job!
  • Several folks have sent me resumes of 5 lines in length or shorter this week. When I wrote one of them and asked for a more detailed version he replied that he has been in one job for almost 25 years, is good at what he does, and does not need to detail his experience to get an interview! Best of luck, my friend but don't wait for me to help you!

No comments: