Saturday, August 8, 2009

Credit Check Fiasco

Yesterday's New York Times reported about how employers and search firms are using credit checks to eliminate candidates from consideration. One man was applying for a $30K annual salary position as a property manager where he would have little or no contact with money. His former employer had shut down over a year ago, his house was foreclosed on, Chapter 11 followed, and he was living in a shelter. Of course, a credit check would not be very supportive of his efforts. Several states are restricting the use of credit checks to jobs that relate to finance but most are (especially CA and Governor Schwarzenegger) allowing them to be used. The court system is dodging cases where they are called discriminatory.

There are staffing firms (such as 2 national chains that both begin with the letter 'K') who have a reputation for credit checking every single candidate. many moons ago, one of them recruited me to work for them. Bear in mind they approached me, not the other way. After 2 meetings, I was told they needed to run a credit check before making an offer. I balked, simply because I felt it was an invasion of my privacy even though i knew there would be no flags, and was told it was essential. I still declined and walked the other way with no regrets.

To candidates, it is your choice but think long and hard before you open your personal finances to an employer. if anyone disagrees with me, please state your case!

No comments: