Saturday, January 9, 2010

Honesty with Moderation

Withholding information from a resume is not something I recommend though some things are better discussed during an interview than printed on paper. A few days back, I received a very polished resume from someone with about 25 years of impressive experience at the executive level with some excellent attributes. I noticed that there was a 3 year gap with an asterisk. My first thought was he has semi-retired then changed his mind, or taken time off for health or family issues.

At the very bottom of the resume was an explanation, three years of incarceration. Upon researching briefly online, I discovered a rather disturbing history of white collar crime that apparently got blown out of proportion because of who some of the other associates were. Rather than becoming very concerned after seeing the footnote, doing some homework, and feeling compelled to not pursue any further, part of me thinks I would have reacted a bit different if I had spoken with candidate first and he had offered the information in his own words.

My past experience in Career Services for trade schools taught me that there are people with difficult pasts who have moved forward and deserve a chance to succeed. Perhaps this candidate fits into that category but I am now extremely reluctant to establish contact. My advice is never hide such information but it should come out either on a formal job application or during an initial discussion so the candidate has a chance to present the whole picture.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Having worked with inmates and those leaving prison for the past 10 years, I advise them to not put on a resume that they have served time. But to note that they would be glad to discuss the lapse of time in employment personally. That gives them the ability to do a personal introduction and visit a bit before revealing that fact.
Kudos to the gentleman for not hiding it. Don't hold his past against him. I have seen many former inmates become extremely productive citizens, some as business owners and some as exemplary employees. If he has a long track record after prison, so much the better that he has proved himself
Sam
www.thefreeinmatelocator.com