Wednesday, March 9, 2011

PLEASE!! WAKE UP!!

As the recession staggers along, candidates continue to amaze me at how unwilling they are to be flexible. Of late, I have been told that, even though out of work for two years, the option of a 3-6 month assignment will not be considered. Also, since this one candidate is the best in their profession, recruiters should be willing to drop everything and do a customized search! Finally, having never commuted more than 10 miles each way, a 15 mile commute is out of the question (imagine the response if I had suggested a 25 mile drive).

These are a few samples of why unemployment numbers are still too high. Yes, jobs are very, very hard to find but candidates absolutely need to realizes they have to meet the hiring company a bit more than half way right now. I dislike this reality as much as anyone (in fact, it gets under my skin daily) but I go back to a term I learned as a management trainee in the very demanding retail field over 30 years ago: WIT - Whatever It Takes! Hopefully, the day will return when the pool of available, high quality candidates is thin again and employers will hustle to hire the best regardless of price but that is not even close to reality in the relatively near future.

No comments: