Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Challenge

Never before in my 20+ years in the staffing industry have I been posed with the challenge that entered my life in the last week. After 24+ years working for 3 incarnations of a major telecommunications firm, my wife was caught up in their rather routine Thursday morning RIFs (Reduction in Force I believe) and finds herself unemployed for the first time in well over 30 years. The way this large company handles separations is rather cold, impersonal, and pretty much insensitive. Her unit was informed at close of business on Tuesday to be at their desks Thursday morning as their would be layoffs. On Thursday, her immediate supervisor walked in with an envelope containing her separation paperwork and, by the time she got home a few hours later, her email account was shut down.

The only silver linings are there are a few months before payroll and benefits stop and severance was somewhat fair. An outplacement company was provided to her for 3 whole months. At her orientation yesterday, she discovered that much of the advice disseminated to her was pretty much what I share with you in this blog! Her tenacity at not letting any grass grow under her feet is impressive. Occasionally, I will share snapshots of her search with all my readers, but have no fear, I will continue talking about whatever else comes to mind as always!

No comments: