Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Perfect Resume?

In 1979, I attended a workshop at Franklin and Marshall College on resume writing. It last about 20 minutes and we received a mimeographed (if anyone needs a lesson on what that is, contact me) list of what to include and a list of secretaries on campus who, for a small fee, would type it up professionally. With this information in hand, I hustled to my room, took out some lined paper and scribbled for maybe an hour. I then attempted to type it on my portable typewriter and then stopped by a trusted professor's office for some input. He corrected some grammar and advised me to find someone else to type it as my skills were not too sharp! For $10, I received a professionally type resume and 20 copies! That was the only tool used to get my first professional job. In 2011, we are able to post resumes to Facebook, LinkedIN, Twitter, Monster, etc. We are free to change our resume in a matter of seconds before each submission. Some of us can even carry it around in our cell phones! One important thing has not changed. No matter what method of distribution you use, make sure your resume is accurate, interesting to read, and related to the job you are applying for!

No comments: