Friday, May 6, 2011

Killer Resumes

Cookie cutter resumes, the kind created from using templates, look just like they sound. They are neat, clean, efficient but do nothing to highlight a candidate's special talents. As a firm believer that a resume should serve as your own person advertising brochure, I want all of you to think for a moment. When you pick up a newspaper, open your junk mail, pay attention to a pop-up ad on line, etc.; which advertisements really stick in your mind? There are two types that I usually remember, the very informative yet attractive ones and the extremely obnoxious and annoying versions. I will patronize the businesses that tell me something in a positive yet interesting way while I stay far away from the obnoxious folks.

Exactly the same thought process is used by most hiring managers when they sort through hundreds of resumes clogging their email every day. Recently, I received a resume which started with a page of 100 reasons why I should hire the candidate laid out in all types of boxes and bullets. Besides being hard to read because of the layout, the candidate was obviously very pompous, self centered and egotistical! As a recruiter, I try to send candidates to my clients who are highly qualified and also extremely professional and ethical. Perhaps this candidate is terrific but I never got past the first page.

Before creating your resume, ask yourself a very simple question. 'If I were the employer and my resume crossed my desk, would I call myself for an interview?' Also, ask a few trusted friends and/or colleagues the same question. The answer absolutely must be yes before you put your resume into play.

No comments: