Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Respond to All Inquiries!!

As the recession continues to crawl along, I am more amazed each day at the lack of courtesy shown by candidates when I call them with potential employment opportunities. It is bad enough when someone posts a resume on search engines then elects not to reply to phone calls or emails, but even worse is when a candidate sends me their resume then takes anywhere from three days to more than a week to get back to me. Why on earth would someone submit their resume if they do not intend to apply?

One theory I have to put out there, though some of you might not like it, is that many candidates are applying for jobs just to list them on their unemployment papers. As someone who tries to make every phone call or email count, this is wasting my time.

Another thought is that a candidate might neglect to remove his/her resume from search engines upon landing a new job. The simple solution to fix this would be a quick phone message or brief email indicating they are not currently on the market.

My third thought is that many people are just simply frustrated and need a break from job searching in such challenging times. This is fine. A few weeks of laying low might just be good for the soul but please make your posted resumes inactive during your period of inactivity!

Recruiters and hiring managers tend to have pretty strong memories. If someone blows me off enough times, I will bypass their resume during future candidate searches. Please do not accidentally set yourself up to fail!!

No comments: