Thursday, May 21, 2020

Adventures in Staffing, Part 11



Adventures in Staffing, Part 11: Warning signs, from my experience, are usually accurate. Today, I will give you a few different scenarios to think about. A rookie recruiter I was training found a gentleman to fill a vacancy for one of his clients. They told the recruiter they would offer the job pending a drug test. The candidate was angry and showed up at our door, claiming he was a volunteer first responder and should be exempt. I told him that he should not worry about the test if he had nothing to hide. He stormed off and we never heard from him again.

One time, I was trying to hire a career counselor to join my office. A candidate was referred to me by several colleagues. I sent her for a drug screening which came up positive. She told our HR rep that it must have been due to some cold medications (gave her benefit of doubt) she had taken. After a week, we set her up for a retest which she turned down saying she may have ingested some narcotics-laced baked goods by accident. At this point, the offer to her was rescinded.
A few other times, I have taken a chance even with warning signs and have been burnt on each occasion. As a recruiter or hiring manager, my best advice is to go with your gut each time. #jobsearch #jobmarket #WarningSigns

No comments: