Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Adventures in Staffing, Part 12

 Before I entered the staffing field, my first years after college were spent in retail management. Apparently, I had the looks of a recruiter all the way back then when I was assigned to a team that was to build, staff and open a.new big box store. The GM designated me to oversee the hiring process. With the help of 2 admin staff borrowed from other locations, I was given one week to hire and assign over 300 people! The overwhelmingly large pool was not very talented. I learned the art of triage that week. If the candidate could fill out most of the application, dressed neatly, had a few references, and showed up for their second interview with proper identification, they were hired. The store was located in an economically depressed area and we chose to give the locals an opportunity to blossom. Some responded well while others were rapidly replaced. Sometimes, if people are given a chance, they will run with it. As a staffing manager, it is your role to decide who get that chance.

No comments: