Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pick up the Phone!!

Telephones are never going to become extinct as far as I am concerned! From the old rotary to touch tone to wireless, now cellular and blue tooth and computer phones, they will keep being reinvented. Many of us, especially those 30 and under, are becoming way too reliant on email, instant messages, and texts. Of course, they are very easy and quick ways to communicate but not as personal as hearing other people's voices (sure beats communication shortcuts such as "kk", "lol", and "ttfn")!

As a recruiter, I get dozens of resumes via email daily, some of which I read, but the majority get deleted. Some brave potential candidates have the audacity to phone me and engage in live conversation!!!! Many times, something they say triggers an alarm in the deepest, darkest areas of my brain and I end up matching them to a client or opportunity that I would not have thought of simply based on email.

My daughter recently started a summer internship. A manager mentioned to her that he receives so many bulk emails from recruiting firms but that he rarely gets a personal phone call. Phone calls require a little more time and effort than email and I have always felt they are the way to maintain relationships with clients. It does not matter what service or product you represent, the personal touch of a periodic phone call is still your best marketing tool!

No comments: