Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Selecting Trade Schools to Redirect Your Career

Many people, who go through the unfortunate experience of being downsized, decide to use available funds to learn a new field. Proprietary trade schools are a good alternative to local colleges that you should definitely consider. Assuming you already have a degree, the focus this time should be on obtaining marketable skills. Trade schools offer certificate programs which are geared toward one goal, preparing you to re-enter the job market.

How do you select the right school to attend? As someone who spent many years working at a trade school, I have a short test you should put each school through:
  1. Will my curriculum allow me to graduate with the certificates / licenses needed to work in my new field or simply prepare me to take the tests on my own?
  2. Is the school nationally accredited and is my particular curriculum accredited?
  3. What is the school's overall placement rate and my chosen program's placement rates?
  4. How is retention, in other words, what percent graduate each year?
  5. What will the tuition be and does it include certification / licensing fees?
  6. How many hours per day will I attend school?
  7. If an externship or internship is required do I find my own site or will the school arrange it.

I hope this helps you redirect your career! Write me with any questions

No comments: