Wednesday, July 2, 2008

ETC.

  • It looks like there is a definite chance the minimum wage in NJ will rise above $8 per hour soon. While at face value many of you are likely thinking the rate should be higher, I am concerned about the impact on the bottom line for employers who use a lot of lower paid staff. Will this force them into cutbacks? Our local eateries and supermarkets appear to be operating on a shoestring budget already so I am not positive about the near future. You are welcome to comment on this site or by email to hblevin58@gmail.com.
  • A well known trade school in Central NJ is looking for a new Director of Career Services. Contact me using the methods listed in this column if you would like a referral to them.
  • Broken records are annoying but I need to play an old tune tonight. A resume landed on my desk in response to a job I posted recently. Upon quick review, I put it aside as I saw very little applicable experience. The candidate called to followup and I explained what I was looking for. It turns out that this individual could be a close fit. Please thoroughly demonstrate who you are in your resume as it is the first impression most employers get of you!
  • Speaking of broken records, Greater Media fired most of the staff at WCTC in New Brunswick and WMTR in Morristown and replaced them with an oldies format delivered by a feed from who knows where. Many local communities lost part of their voice today. I wish the displaced staff members a quick rebound professionally and emotionally.

No comments: