Sunday, June 21, 2009

Customer Service Award

As a former retail manager from the days before email, texting, IM, etc., there is one thing that has never changed - the customer is always right no matter what. Today, I saw that rule broken and want to give a shout out to the Shop Rite Supermarket in Hillsborough, NJ for losing a customer who shopped there since they opened roughly 30 years ago.

The cashier rang up 4 cartons of soda instead of 5 which was noticed when I got my receipt and looked to see why my bill was about $10 more than expected. The sale price only kicked in if you spent at least $25 (which I more than tripled) plus 5 cartons of soda. I was told to go to the courtesy booth where they would issue a refund. Reluctantly, I got in line behind 3 others who weren't receiving pleasant service. After about 5 minutes of fidgeting with an adding machine, the CSR told me it was my fault for trying to pay for only 4 boxes and all she could do was refund and take them back unless I wanted to buy $25 worth of additional items! The manager explained that the computer couldn't correct this (as the CSR slammed the cartons onto the floor behind me!) so I took the refund. The local Pathmark cheerfully took my money instead!

This all might seem trivial but the CSR and/or the manager might come knocking on my door for a job at some point. Guess what? I would never help them find a job and will definitely remember their inability to provide excellent customer service.

No comments: