Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cable TV-Bah Humbug

Have any of you noticed the declining value of cable TV? About 2 years back, one of the big boys that begins with a C (not Cablevision!) bought the little local group and announced major upgrades and terrific deals to combine phone, Internet, and cable. We fell for this and till today, were fairly happy. I went to check out MLB Network for the All Star rosters and got a screen saying I needed to subscribe to this channel (I've received it since its inception). Figuring it was a snafu, I switched to ESPN News and it was gone as were such highly valued choices as The N, Noggin, BBC News, etc which were extras I never viewed.

After an hour with tech support and sales I drew the following conclusions: I never was supposed to receive the Classics package but the filter was off or the package changed effective this coming Tuesday but they pulled the plug sooner or I should have received a letter about the changes or the FCC allows changes with no notice or the sales rep sold me an illegal deal even though I have a contract on their letterhead. Ultimately I was told it will cost $16.95 to regain the lost channels. Our family voted to live with less and only purchase it if we feel deprived later. My apologies to the local advertisers who I will never hear about.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

No comments: