Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Adventures in Staff, Part 4

Adventures in Staffing, Part 4. Over the past 30+ years, I have always thoroughly prepared my candidates for interviews including a discussion of dress code. My advice has always been to wear professional attire unless I am aware of reasons to recommend otherwise (for example: hands-on interview in a machine shop, client alerts that their building is being renovated and jeans are suggested, etc). Once, I sent someone on a clerical interview dressed professionally. The owner met her wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt! She felt a bit uncomfortable but the interview went so well the job was offered on the spot! She asked what the dress code was and his reply was business casual. It turned out he was leaving the office early for a concert that day! Never judge a book by its cover!!

No comments: