Thursday, April 9, 2020

Adventures in Staffing, Part 5.

Over the past 30+ years, I've had the opportunity to visit pretty interesting workplaces. Each one proved to be quite unique.
Years ago, the firm I worked at staffed an entire footwear distribution center for a company supplying a big box retailer with product on a daily basis. This facility required everything from pickers/packers to computer operators and software programmers. Observing the inventory management process was enlightening.
Another interesting stop on my journey was a distributor of fresh produce servicing markets, restaurants, hotels etc. I learned more about the proper handling of fresh melons and tropical fruits than I expected too.
An extremely cool visit took place at one of the original manufacturers of automated web handling machinery. A co-inventor of the patent which became a measuring stick for other manufacturers was present and I had the honor of meeting him.
IT help-desks are hectic places to work. One company hired several dozen contractors from me for their call center. Every few weeks, I visited my staff to address questions or concerns. Whenever I observed them in action, I was in awe of their skills.
Getting out of the office is refreshing. Once the current crisis subsides, I hope to do this again!

No comments: