Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Travel Distance

Not too long ago, I spent almost 3 years commuting from the middle of NJ into Philadelphia each and every day. At first it was not that bad as it was summer time with flowering trees, sun shimmering on the Delaware (not far from where General Washington crossed it), and I was driving with the sun behind me for both ends of the round trip. Winter crept up and made life challenging but I endured 3 winters without missing a single day due to weather. Eventually it wore me down and I was exhausted and took a transfer closer to home.

Recently, candidates have expressed the willingness to travel up to two hours each way to get a decent job. Each time, I relate my past experiences to them and listen for signs that they trully understand the impact it will make on their lifestyles. While I admire and respect those who are literally willing to go the extra mile in their job search, I hesitate to send people unrealistic distances from home. Before saying yes, weigh out all the positives and negatives of your decision.

No comments: