Thursday, February 4, 2021

Flexibility!!

February began with a thud in the Northeastern U.S. My locale received about 2 feet of snow over almost 60 hours. If we learned anything from the Pandemic, it is the art of being flexible.

Schools taught virtual lessons instead of using snow days. Retailers capitalized on folks being glued to their computer screens to record online sales in high numbers. Those who answered calls from recruiters received interviews and perhaps job offers.

One example of this comes from my work this week. On Monday, I reached out to 3 candidates who looked like potential fits for jobs I am working on. Just one responded and we had a productive conversation. I submitted his resume to my client who conducted a Zoom interview the next day and hired the candidate. The other people have still not replied to my messages.

Due to the record snowfall, many operations shut down for 1-2 business days in my region but their hiring managers shifted into virtual mode (thanks to the Pandemic teaching us new tricks) and did not fall behind in the hiring process. There is a tendency to goof off in bad conditions but the more flexible you are without demonstrating any sense of entitlement, the more likely you are to land a new role!J

No comments: