Sunday, January 31, 2021

Placement Flashbacks (Memories from over 30 years in the staffing field). #8.

Frequently, I hear complaints about how difficult it is to find a job. Quite honestly, it has never been (and never will be) easy to find your next job or, in some cases, your first job.

Standing in the cold, waiting for my local supermarket to open on recent Sundays, as I attempt to be there when crowds are at their lowest to hopefully remain Covid free, made me think about my quest for my first full time job. As a senior at Franklin and Marshall College in 1980, I was given the opportunity to sign up for on-campus job interviews with a variety of employers.

In order to sign up, I was told to be there when the Student Services office opened at 8 AM one January morning. From word of mouth, I learned that arriving around 7:00 guaranteed you the best selection. I arrived at about 6:30 AM on a snow covered morning to find myself third in line outdoors! Happily, I defrosted in time to grab about a dozen interviews which led to three job offers! Obviously times have changed as have job search methodologies but that saying abo early birds still applies!

No comments: